When we speak of anemia we tend to think that it is a disease, when in reality it is a manifestation of our organism that something is not right.
The medical definition of this condition is a weak concentration of hemoglobin in the blood, that is, a lack of iron.
It is important to clarify that this condition can be reversed and that a blood test is necessary to detect it, although some indications can be used to detect anemia.
This iron deficiency may be due to gastrointestinal pathologies or blood loss due to accidents or heavy menstruation.
Some of the symptoms are:
- – Tiredness and lack of energy.
- – Lack of air.
- – Tachycardia, palpitations, accelerated heart rate.
- – Chest pain.
- – Cutaneous pallor.
- – Cramps.
- – Alteration of the menstrual cycle.
- – Renal and digestive disorders.
Anemia is evidenced on a physical level, but also on a psychic level and affects our emotions, causing consequences in our daily life.
This lack of encouragement makes us feel bad about ourselves and those around us. It is hard to make decisions and you can not specify what we want in life.
Anemia weakens to the point that we find no emotion in accepting challenges and there are not enough motivations to get up every morning or to go out and it is easy to fall into depression.
In the workplace, the signs of anemia are also evident because we notice difficulty in concentrating on work, we get irritated by unimportant things and problems arise in communicating.
Beyond determining what is the cause of anemia and treating the problem that causes it, we can resort to everything that nature offers us to counteract the low levels of iron and consume those foods that meet high concentrations.
The specialists also estimate that the diet adapted to this deficiency is the key to the prevention of this pathology, as well as its treatment.
1) Spinach: Spinach has many benefits and is characterized by its high content of iron, fiber, vitamins A, B9, C and E, as well as calcium and beta-carotene. All this makes them good allies to combat anemia and it is recommended to consume at least 100 grams to obtain 20% of the recommended daily contributions of iron.
All green leafy vegetables have high concentrations of iron and are ideal to include as a filling for other dishes, as side dishes and to include in purées and soups.
2) Products of animal origin: One of the best sources of iron comes from products of animal origin, because they contain heme iron that is absorbed 30% better than those of plant origin.
Red meats, liver, seafood and blue fish are the most recommended to combat anemia.
3) Whole-grain breads: Flours were the basis of the diet of human beings practically since prehistory and with them many other foods are made that serve as sustenance to a large part of the world’s population.
Bread made from all types of cereal is missing in almost any table and is a food in itself that provides 6% of a person’s daily iron needs, in just one slice.
Other whole grains such as rice, or pasta also help fight anemia.
4) Egg: For cases of anemia, the egg can never be lacking in a diet rich in iron.
Only one egg provides 1 mg of iron in addition to other essential nutrients to strengthen bones and muscles.
Do not hesitate to consume egg to increase your iron levels and do not forget to combine it with orange juice to help better assimilate this mineral in your body.
5) Pomegranate: This particular fruit makes an important contribution in iron and allows the blood to absorb it directly.
It has many properties, among which we have vitamins, fibers and potassium and is a good ally for its high iron content and its depurative effect in the blood.
6) Plums: Plums are considered medicinal fruits because of their large number of properties: they favor digestion, relieve constipation and prevent intestinal inflammation.
They are a source of energy and have high concentrations of iron. These fruits can be eaten naturally or dried and are ideal for inclusion at breakfast or as a snack between meals for an additional dose of energy. They are very effective when it comes to fighting anemia.
7) Citrus: The main attribute of citrus fruits is their important contribution in vitamin C. This vitamin is an essential complement in any diet and we recommend including orange juice in the breakfast of each day.
An ideal breakfast: A bowl with oats, nines, almonds, chestnuts, strawberries, blueberries and raspberries accompanied by a glass of orange juice.
Ideal to start the day with an “injection” of vitamins and all the iron contributions to increase the values.
8) Dried vegetables : Many foods represent an important source of fibers, but those that are surely ahead are legumes such as peas, lentils, soybeans, chickpeas and beans. Also other dried fruits such as nuts, almonds, peanuts (peanuts) and hazelnuts. All of them can add up to 5 mg of iron per 100 grams.
In addition, they have little fat content and add many proteins.
9) Tomato: The tomato is also a very complete fruit with everything necessary to combat anemia because it has vitamin C, vitamin E and beta carotene.
We especially recommend consuming tomato juice because this way nutrients are better absorbed. Do not stop drinking at least one glass a day!
Did you know that sugary sodas, as well as coffee and tea, interfere with the assimilation of iron? Consume these drinks away from meals.
10) Spices: Spices have been living with us for thousands of years and were even used at some time as a payment currency. We have always used them in the kitchen as a condiment for our meals, but we never knew the iron contribution that each one can make.
Thyme, cumin, dill, oregano, cinnamon, pepper and curry; they are the main suppliers of iron.
All these tips are aimed mainly at those people who suffer from iron deficiency, but in reality they are healthy for everyone.
Surely from now on you will take into account the contribution made by these foods and how useful they are for all those who suffer from anemia.
If you know someone in this situation in addition to the future moms or some child “lazy” to eat that you need to increase their iron levels, do not stop recommending them read this information.